Since I was named Chemical Hygiene Officer, I have been up to my eyeballs in MSDS (material safety data sheets), trying to update them across the district and get them in the right places. I now know how many closets are at each school in the district, where they are and what is stored there. I know things I wish I didn't know.
And today, I was able to teach my students why it is important to have MSDS handy. My 2nd hour lab went great. 5th hour, I had eight students splash chemicals in their faces because they weren't following directions or out of simple mistakes. Luckily it wasn't anything toxic or harmful. The kids had to endure 15 minutes of flushing with water and I got to talk to the nice gentleman at poison control (who probably knows me well as many times as my twins have gotten into things) and I filled out eight incident reports, talked to my principal, the nurse and 8 parents. In the end, we were all able to laugh it off and I hope the students learned a valuable lesson. I learned that I will never do that lab again!
Dr. Level would have been so proud today. I used anticipation guides in two of my classes. It went okay, and I think it will be great once students get the hang of it! I am thankful for the weekend!
Friday, November 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment