Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Great Day!

Today was one of the four "mentoring" days I will be hosting this school year. A mentoring day is when the elementary kids come to the high school and are taught by the high school science kids. Today, we had 60 second graders for several hours. My high school kids took them through the outdoor classroom, teaching them about turkeys, deer, bear, why the leaves change color, habitats and camouflage. They also had a rotation in the science lab where they used microscopes to look at pond water. Then they completed a study on wild turkeys and made their own turkey call. It was awesome! I was so proud of my students. They really did a fantastic job! It was a great day! The second graders had a blast and the high school kids learned by teaching. And for just a few hours, I could forget about paperwork and grades, homework, meetings and committees and just enjoy watching kids learn and watching their smiling faces as they LOVED science! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment