Sunday, September 27, 2009

Encouragement for First Year Teachers

This is my second year in the classroom. Pretty much anything that can happen good or bad in the classroom happened to me last year. I had the lowest of lows the Monday that I found out one of my students had committed suicide over the weekend. I had the highest of highs when I was named teacher of the month for the fourth time and when I received over $10,000 in grants for proposals I had written. I had days when I was furious such as when the football player threw something at me and did not receive punishment of any kind and when the student told me that he did not "feel like" he should have to serve detention. I had days where I laughed so hard I cried because my students are so funny. I had weird days when I wasn't sure how to react: I took my AP students to the outdoor classroom and we came upon a car parked on our pond bank where a couple was engaging in sexual activities. At least we were talking about meiosis. For the rest of the year, the term "nature trail" took on a whole new meaning. I had bittersweet days where a student felt comfortable talking to me then revealed she was a victim of abuse. I had hectic days when I was exhausted at the end. I had boring days when I though I would fall asleep before the bell rang. I had scary and stressful days such as when our superintendent told us we would expeience a RIF.
I experienced the full range of emotions but in the end: I love my job. I love that it is different every day and that I get to know some really cool kids. I love my principal, love my co-workers (even when they are hard to love), I love my mentor and I love my school. I can't imagine doing anything else.
You will survive this year and once you do, it gets ALOT easier! I promise!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Tracey for those words of encouragement. Sometimes I feel like my poor students don't deserve the awful teacher I am this year, and then there are days when I feel like "poor me, I'm just a first year teacher and I don't deserve these awful students!!!"

    ReplyDelete